Topic Options
#1942 - 05/27/13 11:17 PM Re: Eunuch Soldiers? [Re: Soapy]
Mistress Jadis Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
GAHHHHHHH! week off! DO NOT WANT.

#1945 - 05/28/13 07:15 AM Re: Eunuch Soldiers? [Re: Mistress Jadis]
Soapy Offline

Loc: USA,USA
Yah, I got cock blocked yesterday too when I went to watch it. Boo!

- Ms. Regan Black

#1946 - 05/28/13 09:10 AM Re: Eunuch Soldiers? [Re: Mistress Jadis]
kinkybootbeast Offline

Loc: Philadelphia PA U.S.A.
I know right? I was totally in the mood had my popcorn all ready turned on the TV and noooooooo!!! Totally a ruined thronegasm!! shocked

#1959 - 05/29/13 04:51 AM Re: Eunuch Soldiers? [Re: Soapy]
Mistress Jadis Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Still pouty! had to console myself with my re-reading!

#2023 - 06/06/13 03:16 AM Re: Eunuch Soldiers? [Re: Otto Rottic]
movieBuff Offline

Loc: London
Ottorotic

Re slave armies.

The most famous was the elite of the Ottoman Army, the Janissaires, made up of children of Christian subjects of the Empire, recruite at age 10-11. So, in effect, slaves.

The novel, and upcoming film, [b]Ender's Game [/b]by Orson Scott Card, is based on this historical example (Card is controversial for his views re gay marriage etc. but he is a very good Science Fiction writer).

The Mamluks were slave warriors, who wound up taking over the state of medieval Egypt and making themselves emperor.

Most ancient armies had armed slaves who accompanied their masters into battle. Usually to finish off an opponent after the master had beaten him in single combat.

Slavery in the ancient world was seldom so defined as it was in the American south pre Civil War (and even there it varied very much between the brutal, huge, plantations on the Mississippi and say Virginia).

As to castrated soldiers can't think of an example. However Justinian's second best general (after Belisarius) in 5th century Rome/ Byzantium was Narses the Eunuch.

Edited by movieBuff (06/06/13 03:23 AM)
And the centre cannot hold
-- WB Yeats

#2024 - 06/06/13 03:21 AM Re: Eunuch Soldiers? [Re: Mistress Jadis]
movieBuff Offline

Loc: London
If you like the Game of Thrones novels I can recommend

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/glen-cook/black-company-shadows-linger-white-rose.htm

Glen Cook's The Black Company saga. Dark, military science fiction (Cook a Vietnam Vet, he has done his homework on medieval warfare).

(he is better know for his 'Garrett PI' series about a Raymond Chandler-esque detective trying to stay alive in a homicidal fantasy city, stepping between wars between the ruling wizard class, elves and various other dark forces).

Also in a somewhat lighter vein, but with similar issues of a homicidal ruling family locked in a civil war

Roger Zelazny's 9 Princes in Amber

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/z/roger-zelazny/
And the centre cannot hold
-- WB Yeats

#2033 - 06/06/13 01:50 PM Re: Eunuch Soldiers? [Re: Soapy]
kinkybootbeast Offline

How did folks like the "red wedding?" shocked

#2036 - 06/06/13 07:42 PM Re: Eunuch Soldiers? [Re: kinkybootbeast]
Soapy Offline

Loc: USA,USA
I saw something coming, but not that much.

Frey is the epitome of the mean old man, so I was suspicious when he was agreeable about accepting a stand-in groom. When he was talking trash about Robert's wife in public while he watched I thought something nasty was going to happen to at least her.

- Ms. Regan Black

#2041 - 06/07/13 07:47 AM Re: Eunuch Soldiers? [Re: Soapy]
kinkybootbeast Offline

In the book that scene is absolutely shattering. It's the point where you realize anything and everything can happen to the characters in that universe; especially if your last name is Stark.

The series takes a slight detour from the book at this point. In "A Storm Of Swords" Catelyn Stark is horribly mutilated but survives the attack. Apparently the screen writers for the show decided that the red wedding would be her curtain call. It will be interesting to see where the show takes the plot after the third season.

#2058 - 06/08/13 08:50 AM Spoiler Alert! [Re: kinkybootbeast]
kinkybootbeast Offline

Whoops! I realize now I gave away something important in the plot that I probably shouldn't have. Please don't read my previous post unless you have watched all current episodes of GOT or have read the books! My apologies! blush

Best

kbb

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Ms Regan Black 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
fermat

AllStarDoms